[clue-volunteers] Proposed Linuxworld brochure

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sat Apr 22 15:48:32 EDT 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Here are both sides of a single-fold brochure.
>
> Comments, please, especially regarding the body text.

   It might be helpful to clarify that the memberships are yearly.

"has already" --> "have already" ?

   I'm wondering if the "copyright threat" section could be punched up
somehow.  I don't know how best to word it.  The current one can be
mis-read as if we are apologists for "copyright infringement", while it
would be stronger paint us as "protectors of human rights" -- including
and especially communication, cultural, innovation and property rights.

   For the Conservative government types we need to make clear that bill
C-60 didn't "protect property rights" (intangible property or
otherwise), but opposed Lockean real property rights.  The most pressing
technology issue is whether governments will protect or oppose the
property right of the owner of a communications device, such as an MP3
player or computer, to be in control of that device for any lawful
purpose.  FLOSS provides additional protection for the rights of
technology owners by giving them a transparent and accountable  software
option which ensures that the owner can be in control.  In contrast,
certain copyright holders are trying to abuse technology to circumvent
the property rights of technology owners.

--
  2415+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,
  Movie and "software manufacturing" industries from modernization.