[clue-volunteers] Introductions: Russell McOrmond

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Apr 12 08:37:45 EDT 2006

   I am the newly "hired" (I'm not billing yet until we have money)
policy coordinator for CLUE.

   Since other people mentioned times, I was introduces to Free Software
in 1991/1992, making my first post to the gnu.misc.discuss newsgroup in
February of 1992.  The topic?  Not surprisingly it was a copyright
question, and I have learned quite a bit about this inappropriately
complicated law since then:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.misc.discuss/msg/ecfce09243d4050f

   I was one of those lucky few that got to read mailing list and
newsgroup discussions in the community that were trying to convince
Linus to use the GNU GPL for his software.  While I was convinced on the
merits of the Copyleft (reciprocal) Free Software licenses right from
the beginning, it is interesting history to note that Linus wasn't (and
IMHO still isn't) convinced.

   I'm the co-coordinator for Getting Open Source Logic INto Governments
http://goslingcommunity.org and the host for the Digital Copyright
Canada forum http://digital-copyright.ca .  For money I'm a
self-employed sysadmin, software author, policy wonk, etc http://flora.ca

   Oh, and please write a letter to your MP to let them know your
thoughts about copyright and the harm to our community from the current
direction of copyright revision.  Please convince everyone you know to
do the same thing.  Go to http://digital-copyright.ca and you'll see a
form letter you can send.

--
  2415+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,
  Movie and "software manufacturing" industries from modernization.