The Goals of CLUE, in the support of its vision and mission, are to:
- Create a membership organization that represents individual, organizational and corporate members of the free and open source software community;
- Advance the interests of the community in the development of public policy at the national, provincial and local levels;
- Support programs and activities which encourage greater understanding and appreciation of the community's values within the general public as well as the private and public sectors;
- Enhance communications and resource-sharing within the community;
Encourage and foster the development of high-quality IT standards which are open and widely implemented;
- Work with similar organizations in other countries to advance the community's interests in international policy regarding standards, organizations (such as WIPO) and multi-lateral agreements (such as FTAA).